Wednesday, June 06, 2007

"Can you bleach my decay?"

Today, I saw a patient from Somalia, quite a decent lady. But when she smiles, I could easily spot the ongoing rampant caries in her mouth (extensive decay). If you can picture rotten teeth with only zero to 1/3 of the white enamel (outer layer of tooth) left in the mouth when you look into someone's mouth, you may start to wonder what was going on in there?? I wasn't sure and was pretty convinced that she had no intention to tell me too. It took ages (years) for someone to get rotten teeth like this, unless she has had some other hidden agenda which she wasn't likely to reveal anyway.

Well, with the extend of caries described, the only treatment was to extract her teeth, which she had strongly objected even before i touched her. Despite our concern to her general dental health, she opted for aesthetic than relieve of pain.

"Can you put some white filling to cover my black decayed teeth (only the root stump instead)"..........mmmmm, no, i can't do that.

"Or may be you can bleach them?" oh,dear, where did she get this idea of bleaching a decayed tooth, from the internet???

Ok, out of my curiosity, i did some brief reading on somalia
Somali is located on the Horn of Africa in East Africa, It has no recognised central government authority nor any other feature associalted with an established independant state.

Somali has one of the highest child mortality rate in the world. Education system was privatised after the breakdown of the government.


MAY BE these facts explain where she got her bleaching information. I feel so sorry to her. I hope that she got somethings out of the visit and, she will have a better and realistic idea of her condition. BLEACHING is not going to solve your problem, Full immediate denture is your best choice now .

LAZY to brush your teeth?
Can't give up on smoking?
Addicted to Marijuana, "i can't quit"?
I Love Coke and juice, can't live without them. And I brush my teeth after having coke and very low pH juices. I feel clean afterwards.

WELL, BE PREPARE TO SUFFER THE CONSEQUENCES. In the very limited year in Dentistry, I haven't heard one individual being perfectly happy with their denture. It is not about the technical side of the denture work but physiologically, they are just substitute, can't be compared to the genuine set of teeth.

Do you still think DENTURE is a resolution to your intended or unintended, neglected mouth?



Do you want to kiss this mouth?



Or this?

No comments: